Unique Leadership Opportunity
Middle School After School Executive Director
Wilson Family YMCA, Wilson, NC
The Wilson Family YMCA seeks a dynamic, high-energy and inspiring leader to launch its innovative, county-wide after school collaboration for all local middle school students as its first Middle School After School Executive Director. Based on national models, this program is funded with a $22M investment by Healthcare Foundation of Wilson as its first strategic initiative.
The program goals for this entrepreneurial and creative program include improving the health and wellness and overall activity of middle school students, increasing educational proficiencies, improving college and career readiness, and allowing students opportunities and experiences that might never have been previously available.
As an integral member of the Wilson community, the Middle School After School Executive Director will live in Wilson, one of North Carolina’s most beautiful cities. Known as the City of Trees, Wilson is home to nearly 50,000 residents and is situated about one hour from the state capitol of Raleigh and about 90 minutes from the scenic NC coast. In addition to the outer beauty of Wilson is an inner framework of industry, education and opportunity that makes Wilson a great city to live, raise a family and thrive.
The Middle School After School Executive Director will be responsible for all functions related to the design, implementation and sustainable operation of a top-notch, highly-desirable, and accessible after school program for all middle school students in Wilson County NC. With a target launch date of August 2022, the Executive Director will design and implement the program, develop and coordinate a network of community service providers to create impactful and attractive opportunities for middle school students as program participants, evaluate program providers, measure program outcomes and provide leadership for a team to successfully implement and sustain the program.
The successful candidate will have administrative experience providing high-quality programs for youth as well as managing a team of five or more. He or she will motivate and inspire the internal team, the collaborative partners as well as middle school parents and students. In summary, the Middle School After School Executive Director will be a magnet for those who are or care about middle school youth in Wilson.
KEY ROLES (Essential Responsibilities):
• Build and maintain trust with Wilson County Public School administrators, educators, parents and students through intentional relationship building strategies and transparent information sharing
• Create, implement and track a strategic plan for the development of the afterschool program
• Establish and manage a network of after school programming that matches the identified needs and interests of middle school educators, parents, and students
• Hire, train, motivate, support and evaluate a team of 3 middle school after school program staff members who will each be responsible for programs and relationships at two of Wilson County Public Schools six middle schools and a dedicated grant writer who will help sustain the program after the initial 3-year funding period
• Develop, implement, maintain and upgrade systems for registration, transportation, risk management, impact measurements and program and provider evaluations
• Create, implement, maintain and update policies and procedures applicable to the program
• Ensure high enrollment among middle school students
• Provide consistent updates to all stakeholders
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
• At least five years of experience working in education, youth development or related field with a proven track record of working with youth and families across a broad spectrum of demographics
• Working knowledge of the education system strongly preferred
• Commitment to the community of Wilson
• Skilled in building a safe, inclusive culture and fostering relationships with a diverse group of middle school aged children, their parents, and community stakeholders
• Experience creating and measuring youth programming impact, including homework help, tutoring, middle school grade testing and mentorship
• Inspiring leadership, communication and administrative skills, including the creation and management of budgets, and management of multi-faceted program logistics such as transportation
• Ability to work hours consistent with programming needs
• Willing to obtain CPR, AED and First Aid certifications and a commercial Driver’s License, with endorsement necessary to drive a YMCA bus as needed
WILSON FAMILY YMCA: The Wilson Family YMCA exists to strengthen the foundations of our community through Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility. We do it by teaching kids new skills that build self-confidence, character values and leadership. We do it by helping adults and families lead healthy lifestyles. We do it by connecting older adults to an active support network. We do it by providing outlets to give back to those in need and volunteer your time. People engage with the Y on one level, but they soon find a deeper meaning to their activities and a connection to those around them. Ultimately, at its highest form, they feel compelled to volunteer, to give back and help others strengthen the entire community.
SALARY RANGE: $60,000 to $70,000 with full health care, retirement, life insurance, and personal time off benefits.
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply, email your cover letter, resume and professional references to Executive Director Kathie Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position has been filled with a preferred application deadline of March 31, 2021.