Lifeguard Certification Class
Lifeguard Certification and Recertification
This course teaches the skills and knowledge needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. Courses include First Aid, AED training, Water Rescue Skills, and CPR for the professional rescuer. After successful completion of the course, the individual will be a certified lifeguard and can apply for employment at the YMCA!
Complete Course - Blended Learning Style
- Participants must be at least 15 years of age
- participants must pass pre-course requirements
- Participants must be able to attend all dates in a given session to pass the certification
March 2023 Class Dates:
* Participant must attend ALL days listed below to pass*
- Saturday, March 11th
- 1:00 PM-4:00 PM
- Sunday, March 12th
- 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
- Saturday, March 18th
- 10:30 AM- 2:30
- Sunday, March 19th
- 8:00 AM-12:00 PM
Complete Course: $210
- Minimum age 15, Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used. 100 yd breaststroke, 100 yd front crawl, 100 yd any combination of the 2
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under their armpits. hands can also be out of the water on either side of the head
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the l0 pound object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance underwater.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps
- American Red Cross Certification Requirements: attend all class sessions; demonstrate competency in all required skills, demonstrate competency in 3 final skill scenarios, and correctly answer at least 80% of the questions on the final written exams.
For more information please contact our Aquatics Director, Mary Fisher at email@example.com